Our History


Established in 1883, Skewen RFC is one of the oldest clubs in the Ospreys region.

In 1885/86, the year Cardiff’s F.E. Hancock introduced for the first time the four three-quarter formation, Skewen won the Mills Challenge Cup against Melyn Rovers held in Neath. The match was described at the time as a “Battle Royal”.

Three years later, in 1888/89 the first reserve team was formed and played under the title of Skewen Seconds.

There were several relocations during this period, including a spell at a field on Cwrt-y-Clafdy Farm, and the ‘Skewen Juniors’ were formed.

Skewen RFC became members of the Welsh Rugby Union in the season 1896/97 but it is noted that in 1902/03 the Club was still without any source of revenue, the players had to fund their own kit and also subscribe towards buying match balls and medical kit. A year later, however, the Club secured a playing ground on Burrows Road called Cae Lynch. It was enclosed by hedges and the Club was able to charge a few pence for admission.

At the end of a very successful 1905/06 season (which saw yet another change of venue, to Caewathen) the first official dinner of the Club was held. It took place at the Colliers Arms and was followed by a concert.

Some of the leading players were ‘poached’ by more affluent neighbouring clubs. During the 1909/10 season, inside half Tommy Davies, who had played in Skewen colours for seven years, was lured to Huddersfield Rugby League for the princely sum of £100.

During the war years 1914/18 rugby in the area was kept alive by charity matches held between neighbouring collieries, for example, No.4 pit and No.7 pit, Skewen. After the war, rugby flourished again in the village and on 9th December 1920 Skewen beat Welsh champions, Bridgend, by a try to nil and with gate receipts that reached nearly £200.

On 24th September 1924 Skewen RFC left the Colliers Arms at 07.00 in an open charabanc bound for Swansea docks. Here they boarded a ship to take them to their first recorded game ‘overseas’ where they won 12 nil against Barnstable. After-match festivities were described as “memorable”.

In 1935/36 Skewen moved to its present home at Tennant Park. In the same season changing rooms were constructed on the site with the help of players and committee men. The Second World War period 1939/45 saw the abandonment of all WRU fixtures and Skewen RFC was one of the first clubs to re-form after hostilities ended.

In 1967, the facilities that had been constructed in the 1935/36 season were replaced by those that continue to be used today.